I also used this opportunity to use the tomato chutney that I bought at yesterday's Roleystone Spring Clean Markets. The two went hand in hand together and the chutney added a lovely sweet tang. I also drizzled some Tabasco sauce on my slices of lentil loaf because I'm such a Tabasco fan. Delicious!
Here is my adaptation of The Simple Veganista's recipe:
The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf (vegan)
- 1 cup dry lentils, soaked for at least an hour
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1/3 cup water (6 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for sauteing, or steam saute using 1/4 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- A handful of string beans, chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot, finely diced or grated
- 1/4 cup of broccoli cut into very small pieces
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour or finely ground oats
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder & onion powder
- cracked pepper & sea salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato chutney
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Soak lentils for at least 1 hour and then rinse. In large pot add 2 1/2 cups water with lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. It's ok if they get mushy, we are going to roughly puree 3/4 of the mixture when cooled. Once done, remove lid and set aside to cool. they will thicken upon standing, about 15 minutes is good.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180C)
- In small bowl combine flaxseed meal and 1/3 cup water, set aside for at least 10 minutes, preferably in the refrigerator. This will act as a binder and will thicken nicely upon sitting.
- Prepare vegetables. In saute pan heat oil or water over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrots and celery for about 5 minutes. Add spices mixing well to incorporate. Set aside to cool.
- Using a submersion blender or food processor, blend 3/4 of the lentil mixture. For me this was an important part, I tried it other ways and this worked to help as a binder. If using a submersion blender, tilt your pot slightly to the side for easier blending. Combine sauteed vegetables with the lentils, oats, oat flour and flaxseed meal, mix well. Taste, adding pepper and salt as needed. Or any other herb or spice you might like. Place mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, leaving it overlapping for easy removal later. Press down firmly filling in along the edges too.
- Prepare your glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl, mix until incorporated. I recommend making each tablespoon heaping so you have plenty of this great sauce on top. Spread over top of loaf and bake in oven for about 45 - 50 minutes. Let cool a bit before slicing.