Sunday, September 1, 2013

Vegan churros

I only found out recently that the churros at Chocolateria San Churro are vegan. That's both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because it means I can now stop turning down my friends everytime they offer me a churro; but it's bad because churros aren't the healthiest things in the world and it would prbably be better if I still thought they weren't vegan. 

I've been craving them though, and so I decided to make up my own home made churros but use low GI fruit sugar insteadso that they're a tiny bit more guilt free. Although I still wouldn't eat a dozen of these...but I'm pretty sure I did anyways. Couldn't resist. They were tasty!

I used the recipe from The Vegan Butcher. My notes are not to heat the oil too hot because the churros go a blotchy dark brown colour on the outside and don't cook all the way through. It's best to heat the oil to medium (or medium high is ok too). I also put mine into the oven set to 200C for about 20 minutes just to be sure they cooked all the way through. This also made them more crispy. I then let them cool and proceeded to cover them with the cinnamon sugar. 

These churros are so easy to make :) I made mine for my wonderful dad for Father's Day. It was his first time eating a churro - I think. He actually may have had one when he went to Disney Land LA a couple of years back but I'm not sure. None the less, it's always good to be doing new things at any age, and he really enjoyed these. 

Happy Father's Day. Love you always!
 
My dad is so lovely. He spent a good 15 minutes helping me take photos of the churros. He wanted it to look good for the blog so we did about 30 different shots of his handing dipping the churro into the chocolate before he suggested on the positioning in the above photo. I feel so grateful that he is so supportive of this blog...and everything else I choose to do in my life.

Vegan churros

Serves 4


Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon cane sugar  (I used Low GI cane sugar)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil  (I used sunflower oil)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 
  • Vegetable oil for frying, I used a wok filled about 1/2 way
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup fruit sugar and 1/2 cup low GI cane sugar)
  • 1 teaspoons of ground cinnamon 

Directions


  1. In a small saucepan boil one cup water, once the water is boiled add the sugar and salt until dissolved. Add the oil and remove the saucepan from the stove. 
  2. Mix the flour into the saucepan until the batter is mixed evenly. Remove the batter and using a large star tip frosting tip and frosting bag place the batter into the frosting bag.
  3. In a wok or pan heat up oil under medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot enough pipe the churro into a line and using the side of the wok or pan cut off the end of the churro from the piper. 
  4. Fry the churro and flip it to cook evenly (I had my heat on medium so it took about 5 minutes for the churros to cook). Remove the churro and place in a colander or on paper towels to drain and cool off for a few minutes.
  5. In a ziplock bag combine sugar and ground cinnamon and shake the bag to mix. One the cinnamon sugar is mixed place each individual churro into the ziplock bag and coat evenly, remove and serve!





No comments:

Post a Comment