This recipe uses canned chickpeas. Who knew chickpeas could get even better than they already are?
Vegan Mashed Chickpea Salad
From The Simple Veganista
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup or so hummus or tahini (any vegan mayo works too)* (I used vegan mayo + 1 tablespoon tahini)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons mustard (stoneground or dijon)
- sea salt & cracked pepper, to taste
- dash of garlic powder
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- paprika/smoked paprika, garnish
- Drain and rinse your chickpea's, place in medium size bowl and roughly mash with a fork, potato masher, blender or food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and combine. Add more hummus/mayo/tahini if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning. Serve however you like. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
*If you find your hummus is a bit thick, thin it out with a tablespoon or two of water. This will make for a perfect consistency to use as a binder without being overly thick and/or drying as well.
I served mine up in a sandwich with cucumber, lettuce and tomato. Absolutely delicious!