I found a recipe from Veggies on the Counter for Buckwheat and Hazelnut Pancakes which sounded nice and healthy.
I made a few other additions to the recipe and came up with my own vegan hazelnut pancakes. I did not feel the least bit guilty eating these. They went went great with roasted hazelnuts and raspberry preserves. It was a great start to the day :)
Vegan Hazelnut Pancakes
- 1/2 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/2 spelt flour (can be substituted for any other flour or buckwheat)
- 1/4 rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- Add all the ingredients (except the oat milk) to a bowl and mix well. Slowly pour in the oat milk and whisk to combine. You’ll get a fairly thick batter, which is what you’re looking for.
- Grease a large non-stick skillet with oil. Turn the heat to medium and, when the pan is hot, drop for each pancake 3 to 4 tablespoons of the batter. Cook the pancake for 2 to 3 minutes or until its top has just started to set. With a spatula, turn it over and cook for one additional minute.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter. Make sure you grease the pan with additional oil each time you drop the batter into the skillet. Serve the pancakes with agave nectar, maple syrup or raspberry preserves.