Saturday, August 17, 2013

Vegan Avocado-Cucumber Creamy Pasta Sauce

Before my vegan days, I used to tuck into huge servings of creamy pasta and then feel really heavy and bloated afterwards. Not the best feeling in the world and definitely not the healthiest option.

Nowadays, I don't eat creamy sauce with my pastas because it usually contains milk, cream, cheese, or all of the above. But I do get tired of tomato based pasta sauces sometimes and so I wanted to find a healthy vegan alternative for creamy pasta sauce.

I recently came across a recipe for creamy avocado pasta sauce from the website The Simple Veganista. If you haven't checked out this food blog, then I strongly suggest you do. Yes, you can stop reading my blog for a little bit and go over to The Simple Veganista. I won't be offended :P

Anyways, back to where I was...while it might sound strange to have avocado with pasta, it's actually a great combination. Stranger yet, this creamy pasta sauce is essentially pureed avocado and cucumber! Avocado and cucumber? It's surprisingly tasty and I did not feel the least bit heavy or bloated after chowing down on this. 

I kept things simple and coupled my creamy pasta with sauteed kale, broccoli, steamed orange sweet potato and fresh cherry tomatoes. All that was missing from my dinner was some protein. Why not add some mushrooms to the dish when you cook this up and you've got yourself a complete and nutritious vegan meal :)

This dish really does leave you feeling healthy and the creaminess of the pasta sauce will satisfy any cravings you might have for the heavy creamy cheesy pasta sauce option. 


Vegan Avocado-Cucumber Creamy Pasta Sauce

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 medium avocado
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced thick
  • a few large leaves of basil (optional)
  • 1 meyer lemon or regular lemon, juice of (Don't add it all at once. Add the lemon juice slowly and stop when the flavour is to your liking)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or black pepper to taste
  • salt to taste
Directions
  •  Place all ingredients into a food processor/blender and process until creamy. Taste for flavor adding anything extra you might like.
  • Serve with pasta and any vegetables that you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment