Weigh 'N' Pay have so many different flavour extracts and on this trip I picked up hazelnut and butterscotch. I will be back for some of the others at a later date :)
I used the extracts to make hazelnut hot chocolate with butterscotch whipped cream. Vegan of course. It is a very rich and creamy drink, so it's probably better in small servings or else you might feel sick. It is perfect for all you people with a sweet tooth, and it was a great way to warm up my night and help me to unwind and relax.
Vegan Hazelnut Hot Chocolate with Butterscotch Whipped Cream
Butterscotch whipped cream:
- 1 can coconut milk (or a can of coconut cream)
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon butterscotch extract
- Place the can of coconut milk/cream into the fridge and leave overnight.
- Open the can of coconut milk. There will be a firm, waxy layer on top.
- Scoop out this firm layer coconut cream that has solidified at the top of the can.
- Stop as soon as you reach the water at the bottom of the can; don't include anything but the solid cream. (You can use the water in smoothies, or just drink it straight.)
- Place this cream in the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl.
- Turn your mixer or hand beaters to high speed, and whip the coconut cream for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whip until it becomes fluffy and light, with soft peaks. Mix in sugar and butterscotch extract.
- 1 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy milk. If you use vanilla soy milk then omit the sugar and vanilla essence)
- 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder (depending on how strong you like your hot chocolate)
- 1-2 teaspoons sweetener (depending on your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon hazelnut extract/essence
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Heat all of the ingredients in a pot until hot (not boiling).
- Pour into your favourite mug or glass and top with the butterscotch whipped cream.