Thursday, May 30, 2013

Vegan Sanitarium Tender Pieces Casserole

Whoa!! I nearly went to sleep today without writing my blog post! Luckily I remembered before my head hit the pillow because otherwise there would have been no coming back from the cosiness of a comfy bed. 

Today was a cold day and I had the spare time to prepare and cook a meal for dinner. I found a can of Sanitarium Tender Pieces in my pantry and decided to try the recipe on the label. Unfortunately I threw away the can after I had finished cooking so I don't actually remember what the dish was called, but it is something like a winter casserole. 

To be honest, the tender pieces really does look like dog food once you open the can, but once you get past that and put all the ingredients together it tastes pretty nice and you forget all about what it looks like straight out of the can.

This is a perfectly warming dish for winter and with a bit of added Tabasco it was just what my tummy wanted to be filled with.


Sanitarium Tender Pieces Casserole

Serves 6

Prep time: 15 minutes

Cook time: 1.5-2 hours

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 large onions sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 425g can of crushed tomatoes (I just used 5 whole tomatoes are whizzed them up in the food processor)
  • 425g can tomato soup (I used about a cup and a half of hot water and 140g can of tomato paste)
  • 1 can Sanitarium Tender pieces
  • 2 large carrots chopped
  • 1 swede chopped into cubes (or you can use potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup frozen peas

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
  2. Heat oil in pan and cook onions and garlic until tender
  3. Add paprika
  4. Transfer into casserole dish together with remaining ingredients except for the peas and mix well
  5. Place casserole dish into oven and cook for an hour. It took about 2 hours for my vegetables to become very tender, so depending on how soft you'd like your vegetables you can vary the cooking time)
  6. Stir through the frozen peas
  7. Serve with rice or thick bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment