Sunday, May 26, 2013

Monk Bowl

I went to the library the other week and borrowed out a vegan cookbook called The 30 Minute Vegan by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. Up until today, I haven't been able to cook any of the recipes in the book. I had my eye on a recipe called Monk Bowl for a while, and luckily I had all the ingredients in my kitchen. 

The dish is quinoa served with coconut tofu and mixed vegetables. What I love about this recipe is that it is so ridiculously nutritious! If you don't already know, quinoa is a grain very high in protein. It makes for a great rice substitute. For the last step of the recipe, flax seed oil and nutritional yeast is used to season the dish. I just drizzled a bit of the oil over and sprinkled the yeast on top. Flax seed oil contains omega oils 3, 6 and 9 all necessary for optimal bodily function. Nutritional yeast contains vitamin B12 which is known to be essential for red cell production. Vitamin B12 is only found naturally in meat and nutritional yeast, so unless it is taken as a supplement, it is very important for vegans and vegetarians to get their daily dose. 

This recipe really should be a staple in every vegan's diet because of how healthy it is. I'm a bit pressed for time so I won't be typing out the recipe for you guys tonight but if I get time I will put it up :) In the mean time, get your hands on this cookbook because this was a great recipe and it was very different to anything I've tasted before. 




No comments:

Post a Comment