Saturday, June 1, 2013

Vegan oat pancakes with apple and raisins

I woke up this morning with the plan to make apple and raisin oatmeal but somehow I turned the ingredients into oatmeal pancakes with apple and raisins

The original recipe calls for coconut milk but I'm not a huge fan of using it in my cooking because it's usually quite high in saturated fats, so unless it's necessary I will sustitute it if I can. I used soy milk instead but this made the pancake batter more runny so I had to up the measurements of the dry ingredients. 

After making the fluffy pillow pancakes from the Post Punk Kitchen website, I haven't wanted to try any other recipe because I have serious doubts that they could be as fluffy and thick as the PPK recipe. These pancakes however turned out pretty good. I added both baking soda and baking powder so I'm not sure if that's what did it, but they were thick none the less so I was happy :)

I was even more happy when my brother told me that he liked them too. In the past I have made healthy vegan pancakes which was wasn't so keen on, but he really liked these; and for a boy who's not really into fruit, he ate the pancakes with the sauteed apples too. 


Vegan Oat Pancakes with Apple and Raisins

(Makes 6 large pancakes)

Ingredients
  • 2 cup Whole-wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • ½ tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp ground Flax Seeds (mixed with 2 tbsp Almond (any non dairy milk)
  • 1 cup of non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened soy milk)
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tsp vanilla

To Garnish
  • 2 tbsp sultanas
  • 1/2 apple, thinly sliced
  • 1-2 tsp sesame seeds
  • Handful of chopped hazelnuts
  • 1-2 tsp pepita seeds
  • Maple Syrup or agave to drizzle

Method
  1. Make your flax “egg” first by mixing 2 tbs ground flax with the 2 tbsp milk and set aside.
  2. Whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for a few minutes
  3. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda & the oats, then add the soy milk, water, flax mixture and vanilla and use a whisk to combine all together. Let the mixture stand for 3 – 4 minutes then whisk again adding more milk if needed.
  4. Heat a non stick pan (I greased my pan with some spray soya oil) and spoon a ladle full of mixture into the frying pan, it will fill out naturally into the correct pancake shape, cook for 2 minutes each side on a medium heat.
  5. In the same pan, saute the apples until soft. You can use some coconut oil or vegan margarine if you like. 
  6. Fill with your favourite fillings, mine being apple, raisins, sesame seeds, hazelnuts and pepita seeds and sometimes a dash of cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment