We're currently in winter over here in Perth and so strawberries are a bit hard to find because they're not in season, but someone had given my mum a whole bunch the other week. I don't know why, but I was the only one eating them in my family. They tasted fine to me. How could anyone not want to eat them?
I wanted to quickly finish them off because they were getting mushy so I decided to make my dad and I a healthy breakfast using Cassey Ho's crepe recipe and the soon to be old strawberries in my fridge.
The recipe on the Blogilates website is not vegan so I substituted egg-replacer for the eggs. I doubled the recipe, and in doing so, I ended up adding 2 teaspoons to the crepe batter. This made them very brown and so when I cooked them they looked like chocolate pancakes. Not very pretty. And these crepes were quite fragile and so when I flipped them they didn't hold their shape all that well either. Again, not very pretty.
I was so very tempted to just make the crepes again so I could have a half decent photo to post up, but I decided to just stick with my original batch. Besides, my dad said they looked OK. That's good enough for me.
Vegan banana, apple and berry crepes
- Egg replacer for 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (if you really like cinnamon, then sprinkle some into the sauteed apples)
- 2 bananas
- 2/3 oats
- 1/2 almond or any non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 servings Stevia (I used vanilla soy-milk above so I didn't end up using any Stevia)
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- Agave or maple syrup
- Mix your dry ingredients together (oats, cinnamon, Stevia) and blend into a fine powder in a Magic Bullet or regular blender.
- Combine egg replacer powder with water as per instructions on the packet (for me it was 1 teaspoon + 2 tablespoons was the equivalent of 1 egg)
- Then add a ripe banana, egg replacer and milk. Blend!
- If the batter is too thick, slowly add the water until it reaches the consistency you desire
- Take your batter and pour into a pan on low-medium heat. Just a thin layer!
- After you see mini bubbles form on top, flip it!
- This batter was a bit thick and it made 4 large crepes
- Heat a pan with spray oil and sauteed apple slices until soft.
- Now fill up your crepe with the other banana, strawberries and the sauteed apples.
- Drizzle with agave or maple syrup