I came across the original recipe from site The Mommy Bowl while I was Googling vegan recipes for parsnips. I had a few in my fridge and wanted to use them up before they went rotten. I was so intruiged when I saw that vegan pate even existed, so I knew I had to try it. Luckily the recipe from The Mommy Bowl listed ingredients that I actually had stocked in my kitchen.
So I think I can say with 100% certainty that this vegan pate does not taste like what I remember pate tasting like. However, it has a bit of a savoury, saltiness to it that is quite nice. I remember that when I was a kid, my sister and I would eat pate on it's own with a spoon, but I probably wouldn't do that with this. It tastes great with crackers though, and I will definitely use it in sandwiches too :)
Raw Vegan Parsnip PatéIngredients:
- 1 medium parsnip
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (soaked if you want – I didn’t)
- 1/2 t. Penzey’s Sandwich Sprinkle (or other seasoned salt)
- 2 T. nutritional yeast flakes
- Cut the parsnip into even-sized chunks. Place in a food processor and pulse until about rice-sized.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse just until mixture sticks together.