I have a bag of sunflower seeds in my pantry that have been sitting there for a while. I Googled some vegan sunflower seed burger patty recipes and found this quick and easy one from The Vegan Chickpea. I didn't have any carrots so I substituted them for zucchini and cauliflower.
I really enjoyed these burgers and they filled the house with such a delicious aroma.
Since I was already trying to use up food in my pantry, I decided to whip up some white bean hummus to go along with the burger. Such a good combination. Nom nom noms.
Vegan Sunflower Seed Burger Patties
Makes 4 patties
- 1/4 cup of uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup filtered water (I used about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup cauliflower (processed in the food processor)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Rinse rice. In a small saucepan, bring water to boil. Add rice, cover,
and cook according to directions. When rice is done cooking, set
Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using your food processor, pulse sunflower seeds about 10 times, just enough to break the kernels up.
- Add brown rice, zucchini, cauliflower, garlic and salt. Alternate between pulsing and processing every 10 seconds until mixture begins to clump together. The key is that you want to keep the texture, but they also need to hold together.
- Form mixture into 4 patties. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately