I was in need of some dessert today and while I was flipping through the pages of my cookbook Now Vegan! by Lynda Stoner I found a super simple recipe for wholemeal shortbread biscuits.
I altered the recipe a little to try and make it a bit healthier and they still turned out pretty good.
Here's the original recipe. Any alterations I made I put in brackets.
Vegan Wholemeal Oat Shortbread Biscuits
- 125g (4oz) wholemeal flour (I used Kamut flour)
- 125g (4oz) unbleached flour (I used oat flour)
- 60g (2oz) raw sugar (I used Low GI cane sugar)
- 200g (6 1/2oz) vegan margarine
- 10 drops vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
- Mix the flour and sugar together
- Rub in the margarine with your fingertips until a coarse breadcrumb texture is achieved.
- Add the vanilla essence and quickly roll the dough into a ball. Do not over-work.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the rough into a rectangle or circle 1cm (1/2inch) thick.
- Cut into fingers or triangles and bake for about 5 minutes.
- Turn over and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Cool on a wire rack.